- Student Life
- About Us
This course will investigate the structure, properties and composition of matter. Mathematical rigor will be emphasized, and students will need a strong foundation in math. This course will cover basic first year college concepts in chemistry such as atomic and molecular structure, the periodic table, chemical reactions, equilibrium, energy changes and reaction rates, kinetic theory, solutions, redox and thermochemistry. Students should be prepared for a demanding course load and a relatively fast paced presentation of material. Critical thinking, problem solving, scientific inquiry and concept mastery are the cornerstones of this course. Students will be prepared to enter an introductory course in college chemistry in the science major.
1. All JPII Students must take three years of science
2. Students must take biology and either physics or chemistry to graduate
3. Four years of science with chemistry are recommended for four-year colleges
4. A biology, chemistry, and physics course are the best background for a career in science, engineering or medicine. Universities view taking physics positively when selecting incoming college freshmen!
5. Anatomy, AP Environmental, and AP Biology are senior only courses